Re: 4.3.0-0pre1v1 build status

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 01:03:23AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 18:52, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > As I said, you waited less than 24 hours after placing the ball in my
> > court before committing Michel Daenzer's (to my mind, hasty) proposal to
> > branches/4.3.0/sid.
>
> My hasty proposal to branches/4.3.0/sid ? That's a distortion of facts,
> to say the least.

If I meant what you appear to be inferring, I'd have said "proposal
regarding", not "proposal to", since a revision control system branch is
not something that accept or reject a "proposal" from a human being.

"to branches/4.3.0/sid" is a prepositional phrase modifying
"committing".  "Michel Daenzer's (to my mind, hasty) proposal" is the
object of "committing".

"The bank robber brandished his gun menacingly in the teller's face."

Surely "in the teller's face" does not modify "menacingly" in this
sentence, but rather "brandished".  ("Brandish", like "commit" in the
sense used[1], is a verb that always takes an object, if occasionally an
implicit one.)

It is disappointing that you so readily see a personal attack in the
above words that you distort the rules and conventions of English
grammar to compel its manifestation.

[1] "We had him committed [to a mental institution]." is the other sense
    that comes to mind, but that is clearly not pertinent here.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       Yesterday upon the stair,
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       I met a man who wasn't there.