Re: adding VIA driver to backported woody XFree86 4.3 - ABI minor version problem

You can find drivers on http://www.viaarena.com, I think.

> And thats' what I did. I first installed Daniel's package.
> I then compiled X using the latest tarball from XFree (XFree 4.3.99.6 -
> 10th of June 2003), (gosh that takes time!!)
> And i copied the driver to the correct place and restarted X.
> Unfortunately, there is an ABI problem.
>
> [...]
> (EE) module ABI minor version (7) is newer than the server's version (6)
> [...]
>
> I am wondering what should I do now. I would rather use a Debian pacakge
> XFree, if possible.

Answer: You can't. The driver interface has changed again in the pre-4.4
series, so you can't use pre-4.4 drivers with a 4.3 server.

> - otherwise, is it possible for me to find a Debian source package of
> the latest Xfree 4.3? Can I use the subversion repository to build a
> woody package of the latest XFree?

No and no, unfortunately. 4.3.99.6 isn't actually 4.3.x - it's
pre-4.4.x. To my knowledge, no-one has packaged it, and you can't use
our Subversion repository to build for woody without backporting
libxft2, fontconfig, render, xrender and xcursor.

> - if not is there any guidance/tips on installing XFree from source,
> especially on a machine where XFree is already installed. I want to mess
> as less as possible with the packages on that machine. Should I
> uninstall (purge) Daniel's packages first? Should I then install X it in
> a different directory? I've read stories of people trashing their system
> doing so.

If you're going to do so, purge my packages first, but I strongly,
strongly, strongly recommend checking viaarena - I doubt *all* your
options are exhausted.

> (0) I installed Debian using PXE boot - just to say that the
> documentation regarding PXE boot in Debian is not very easy to read.
> Iv'e found much better documents on the web.

There was an excellent article posted at http://www.debianplanet.org a
while back.

> (1) BTW: there was a probem with Daniel's packages during configuration.
> I've found that other peoplehaving the same problem
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200304/msg02117.html
>
> I had to patch /var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xfree86.templates to solve it:
> It contained entries like "_description" that I replaced by
> "Description". I can provide a patch if necessary.

This was fixed ages ago - Marcelo's backports of my packages are
absolutely ancient.

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel@raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone@kde.org>
KDE: Konquering a desktop near you - http://www.kde.org