Re: X Strike Force SVN commit: rev 183 - in branches/4.3.0/sid/debian: . patches

>> > - you're moving stuff into debian.cf that isn't actualy debian-specific.
>> >   when i said "gnu-common.cf" i meant stuff common to GNUish systems
>> >   (mostly related to Glibc and userland), but not debian-specific. [1]
>> >
>> > I think we should take care to do these modifications in a way that they are
>> > acceptable for upstream. So if you split into gnu-common.cf the common
>> > stuff that isn't debian-specific, and into debian.cf (or site.def) the
>> > debian-specific stuff, we'd just have to send gnu-common.cf to upstream
>> > and maintain debian.cf/site.def in debian.

>> Here's what I think:
>>
>> The Linux, Hurd, and *BSD .cf files should be split into kernel-space
>> and user-space files.

>> E.g.,
>>
>> gnu-userspace.cf
>> bsd-userspace.cf
>>
>> linux.cf would #include <gnu-userspace.cf>.  This can be conditionalized
>> based on a de-facto vendor define (like LinuxDistribution) if there is
>> ever a Linux distribution with a BSD userspace.  Other stuff in this
>> file would be restricted to kernel-specific stuff (which isn't much).
>>
>> hurd.cf would #include <gnu-userspace.cf> and contain #defines relevant
>> to the Hurd's kernel architecture.
>>
>> {Free,Net,Open}BSD.cf would have conditionalized #defines similar to the
>> way linux.cf already does.  On a Debian system, FreeBSD.cf would
>> #include <gnu-userspace.cf>; otherwise, #include <bsd-userspace.cf>.

>> On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 10:17:14PM -0600, Joel Baker wrote:
>> >
>> > And the NetBSD one is *not* GNU-based,
>>
>> Actualy I agree with that.

>> > which is even more reason to split
>> > the Debian-specific bits into a different file from the GNU-specific bits.
>>
>> That's fine; then there are only Glibc-specific bits left.
>>
>> ISHIKAWA, what about splitting all common stuff into Debian.cf, and
>> Glibc-specific stuff into Glibc.cf?

 OK, here is a my current conclusion, please comment:

 Perhaps our Debian distribution can define by 3 layers:

 1) Debian distribution common
    What aplications (which version) are included.
    What libraries (which version) are included.
    File tree position,  debian policies and so on.

 2) low layer userspace
    glibc? or BSD libc? (or some other libc? or ???)
    (.....or other common low userspace things exist?)

 3) OS core (kernel)
    Linux?, Hurd? or *BSD? (or other OS kernel?)

 Debian GNU/Linux is
  1) Debian  2) Glibc       3) Linux

 Debian GNU/Hurd is
  1) Debian  2) Glibc       3) Hurd

 Debian GNU/FreeBSD is
  1) Debian  2) Glibc       3) FreeeBSD

 Debian NetBSD is
  1) Debian  2) NetBSD libc 3) NetBSD

 RedHat Linux is
  1) RedHat  2) Glibc       3) Linux

 My first cut of plan is ths Layer 1) defines separate into 1 common
file (Debian-common.cf) and share it. Perhaps it is easy because most
of them are already well defined and well separated in the Debian
section of linux.cf, gnu.cf, netbsd.cf by Branden, Daniel, me and
others :-)

 Layer 2) glibc related common things can separate into 1 common file
(glibc-common.cf), but currently it is not easy for me because it is
not well defined and not well separated yet (for me). Please wait for
a while about this.

 When they are done, for example linux.cf structured:

  linux.cf:

   #if LinuxDistribution == LinuxDebian
   # include <Debian-common.cf>
   # Debina Linux kernel specific defines