backing store not enabled by default?

Looking for an education...

On hpux 11.11 the following produces:

  xdpyinfo | grep backing

In woody the following produces:

  xdpyinfo | grep backing

Which appears to mean that application requests such as the following
have no effect.  (This is very old code and I am not an X11 programmer
so I will just assume up front that some types will have changed.)

  XSetWindowAttributes attr;
  unsigned long vm = CWBackingStore;
  attr.backing_store = Always;
  XChangeWindowAttributes(XtDisplay(graphics),XtWindow(graphics),vm,&attr);

Which means that at least this application does not get any backing
store and is very slow when processing window events.  This
application is an in house graphics program which has a very old cold
base.  I am not an X programmer myself and am just helping out other
folks with this problem.  With backing store it has fine performance.

So I am confused and looking for information.  Are there no
applications which need backing store these days?  I would have
assumed that many applications would have benefited from this and
being available was normal.  Or perhaps something completely different
is needed or is going on?

The current train of thought here is to require that X on linux always
runs with backing store.  Which means starting the X server with +bs
or adding 'Option  "backingstore"' to the XF86Config-4 file.  I don't
really like either of those options since it would seem to lead to a
messy configuration problem.

Words of wisdom?

Thanks
Bob