xterm or rxvt fails to start with 2.5.70 kernel (works OK with 2.5.62-ac1)

Hi,

I have a wired problem today. I have used the 2.5.62-ac1 kernel until
today, and decided to give 2.5.70 a go.

When I booted the 2.5.70 kernel, I can no longer start up an xterm, or rxvt.

I am using the latest sin/unstabled distribution (upgraded fully just
a while ago). Everything else works fine for me.

The 2.5.62-ac1 was compiled by me manually with

make dep && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install &&
make install

With 2.5.70 I used make-kpkg from kernel-package 8.038
I compiled it on a different machine, but that other machine is also a
fully upgraded today to sid/unstable.

In http://www.miernik.ctnet.pl/linux/ I have put .config files for
both kernel compiles, their diff and some info from reportbug on the
machine that xterm fails to start (but I did NOT file a bug with it, I
want to hear some comments first, maybe it's just my mistake
somewhere).

There are no messages in /var/log/xdm.log or XFree86.0.log when
staring an xterm, and when starting a rxvt there is a

Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)

in /var/log/xdm/XFree86.0.log

I've done "mknod /dev/apm_bios c 10 134" but it didn't help (the Open
APM failed message is still in the log).

This is all on a Sony Vaio PCG-C1X notebook, and I use ACPI instead of
APM. I didn't compile apm modules, but I didn't have them in
2.5.62-ac1 too, and xterm worked OK.

Now when I boot the 2.5.62-ac1 kernel again, xterm works fine.
When I boot 2.5.70 when I run xterm nothing happens, when I run rxvt,
there is just a quick white flash on the screen, and nothing more.

My windowmanager is ion-devel 0.0.20030327-2.

I have tried xterm 4.2.1-6 and rxvt-beta 2.7.8-5.

I am using devfs.

thanks,

--
Miernik