Re: Why kdelibs4-dev and XFree86 4.3.0 don't play nice together (was: Re: xlibs-pic)

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 07:20:07PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > ... I downgraded xlibs and xbase-clients in order to install kdelibs4-dev.
>
> Yeah, that's because kdelibs4-dev depends on XFree86 4.2.1, and won't
> work with 4.3, due to the different way we handle PIC (this is
> upstream's shiny new way, which I'm assured is wrong, but that's beside
> the point). There's no real easy way to get kdelibs4-dev to install with

Hmm, I thought the new way (4.3.0) was the correct way with all the libs
being compiled with -fPIC, or is there something more to it? I seem to
recall someone mentioning that upstream decided to finally use -fPIC on
all libraries due to that even i386 couldn't prelink the libs if they
weren't -fPIC (Seems upstream only cares about i386).  While 4.2.1 is
still in sid KDE has to be compiled against xlibs-pic so that it works on
all archs.

Thanks,
Chris