Upgrade to sarge, X won't accept login

Greetings.

I did a couple of searches on the archive and can't find this
particular problem.  Please let me know if it's more appropriate to
debian-testing.

I upgraded to sarge (testing) this morning.  After running
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86, X starts and presents a login
screen, but if I enter a valid username and password, X exits and
restarts and I get the xdm screen again.  On the other hand, startx
just fails with a "no screens found" error.

I tried uninstalling xdm and replacing it with gdm, but that does the
same thing.  It would seem my account isn't authorized to run X, but
that makes little sense, since it's world-executable.  I generally
only use my own account and root, but another test account also can't
run X.

Any ideas?  Thanks.
--
Carl Fink               carlf@dm.net