Re: Font uglification after apt-get upgrade EXPLAINED

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 07:06:41AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > If these fonts look fine in other contexts, it may really be the Type1
> > rasterizer in XFree86 that is the culprit.  No one has maintained it for
> > years, and it is not even feature-complete ("Beziers this big not yet
> > supported").
> This is a real shame.  You might upstream best.  Do you think it would help out
> if we would file a bug report which you could foreward upstream or is there just
> no interest.  If upstream does not care about Type1 fonts I guess they did
> not noticed recent desktop movements.

The Type1 rasterizer goes way back (was donated by someone to the X
Consortium, IIRC) and was not originated by XFree86.  It's there because
of inertia.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    There is no housing shortage in
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    Lincoln today -- just a rumor that