Font uglification after apt-get upgrade EXPLAINED

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 11:31:56AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hello,
>
> just back from vacation I did a "apt-get upgrade" to testing where the following
> packages were update (amongst others but these might be guilty)
>
>       libfreetype6   2.1.4-2
>       x*             4.2.1-6
>
> The result were really ugly fonts in status bars, menus (all under
> SawFish 1.0.1.20020116, Gnome* 1.4.1.2-4) and most importantly in Emacs,
> which makes it nearly unusable.
>
> This smells after "change of configuration" of one of the newly
> installed package.  I did not changed anything in my font configuration
> since several month and I wonder how I get the old or any other readable
> font back.  I'm not the only one facing this problem because another
> user on debian-user-de reported this problem - but has no solution.
>
> I'm sorry that I can not investigate more deeply into this problem because
> of time constraints in the next couple of days but I did not want to hold
> back the problem longer.  I just do not know enough about the source of
> the problem to file a qualified bug report.

The Type1 Helvetica font distributed with XFree86 looks like ass.  I
don't know if this is the font's fault (bad hinting) or the fault of the
Type1 rasterizer (bad code).  One fix is to revert your local
configuration to the old, "deprecated" default, as other people have
noted in this thread (move the "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/" directory to
the end of the list).

The changelog entry you're looking for is this one:

xfree86 (4.2.1-6) unstable; urgency=medium
[...]
  * patch #906: re-order xfs's default font catalogue to follow advice
    given in README.fonts document; move scalable font directories to
    top of list and remove ":unscaled" lines
[...]
  * debian/local/dexconf: reorder font path components to follow advice given
    in README.fonts document; move scalable font directories to top of list,
    and, for 4.x XF86Config files, remove ":unscaled" lines since they are not
    needed by XFree86 4.0 and later.  Also, add CID font path to 4.x XF86Config
    files for consistency with 3.x font path configuration.
[...]
 -- Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>  Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:01:32 -0500

If you think the advice given by README.fonts is bad, I urge you to take
it up with Juliusz Chroboczek, who wrote the document.  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      Mob rule isn't any prettier just
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      because you call your mob a