savage and XF4.3.0

I have onboard savage video (ECS K7VMM+ with VIA ProSavageDDR KM266 and
crappy VIA audio) and a full installation of Daniel's experimental
XFree86 4.3 packages. I'm having a small problem with what I suspect is
the xserver-xfree86 package. I can't use any resolution but 640x480. If
I try to(dpkg-)configure the server using any other resolution, I get a
blank screen on my monitor(and the LED's start blinking wildly).

I suspect it involves just the xserver-xfree86 package because if I
replace the file "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/savage_drv.o" from
Daniel's package with the one from the official unstable package, I can
set the X server to my usual 800x600 default. Without the file lobotomy,
I have to use the unaccelerated fbdev driver to use 800x600.

Has anybody else encountered similar behavior with a savage-based card
or onboard video?