XFree86 and KVM switches

  Hi,

  I recently purchased a fairly cheap Belkin KVM switch (I believe it
was called an "E-series"), and I have noticed something strange while using
it.  When I switch away from and back to a computer running XFree86 on
Debian, my mouse's wheel no longer works. (moving it just doesn't cause
X events to occur)  I haven't tested other operating systems/window
systems extesively, but Windows 98 seems to handle the switch
without problems.

  I can recover the wheel by switching to another virtual console and
back.  No suspicious messages appear in any obvious place (such as
/var/log/XFree86.0.log, /var/log/gdm/:0.log, or dmesg)

  I was wondering if anyone on this list knows why this happens.  I know
that the switch does some sort of "emulation" of a mouse while the mouse
is being used by another computer, and it has occured to me that this
could somehow be confusing the X server.  However, I can't think why
that would be causing this problem.

  [sorry for the slightly off-topic post -- I know this probably isn't
   Debian-specific]

  [please Cc me on replies]

  Daniel

|           "Oh my god!  The entire map is written in GIBBERISH!"             |
|           "Worse, my friend.  It's written in German!" -- Fluble            |