Re: no starting of x server after upgrade

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 10:37:07AM +0100, count0@count0.net wrote:
> hi, im sending you my XFree86.0.log because my x-server doesnt come up after
> an apt-get upgrade. i changed no hardware and cant explain what i might have
> done wrong. knoppix 3.1 boots and starts an x session without any problem.
> so, i wonder what has gone wrong
>
> could you help me please or give me an idea what to do?
> thanx a lot in advance :)

I see your problem.

> XFree86 Version 4.2.1 (Debian 4.2.1-3 20021016191246 branden@deadbeast.net) / X Window System
[...]
> (II) LoadModule: "mga_hal"
> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_hal_drv.o
> (II) Module mga_hal: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
> 	compiled for 4.0.3, module version = 1.0.0
> 	ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.3
> (II) MGA(0): Matrox HAL module used

There's your problem.  Get rid of that mga_hal thing.  It's not part of
my XFree86 packages, and it's not built for the version of XFree86
you're running.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      Mob rule isn't any prettier just
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      because you call your mob a