Cannot run X apps as root if logged in as normal user.

I'm runing a combination of woody and some testing packages and
kde3.0.5a as my window manager... And am having some serious trouble
getting any X apps to run withoug using the uid that I am logged in
as... I have tried `xhost +localhost` - no dice... I am still getting
the following error:
Xlib: No protocol specified

When I run `xhost` as the uid that I am logged in as here is my output:
access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
INET:localhost

I'm not sure what the deal is, if I run `xhost +` to disable the
security I am able to run whatever I want as whoever I want, but of
course thats not a very good setup :)

Anyone that has any ideas, let me know!  Thanks

-Ryan