Installing new fonts / the right(tm) way?

[ Please CC to me, I'm not on the list ]

Hello!

What is the right way to install new ttf fonts?

I know fontconfig/gtk2 recognizes when I copy my fonts to ~/.fonts/ but then
they are not available to gtk 1.2 (and other) programs..

If I copy my fonts to /usr/share/fonts/truetype/, what commands should I run
there? update-fonts-dir? update-fonts-scale?

Is this documented somewhere? I couldn't find it..

Thanks!

-- Pasi Kärkkäinen

[ Please CC to me, I'm not on the list ]

                                   ^
                                .     .
                                 Linux
                             Choice.of.the