Huge Memory Usage in X

Hi,
  I'm not sure if this is X related or not, however this seems to affect only
X applications (so nothing on the console is out of the ordinary).  I noticed
the problems about one week ago after doing a standard upgrad (apt-get
dist-upgrade), I unfortunately didn't pay attention to what packages were
updated, but X was one of them.  Now, all apps take a huge amount of time to
load up, and a huge amount of memory.  Most apps will take a minimum of 100
megs just to start up.  KDE now takes up over 500 megs, and takes five
minutes to start up.  This is probably a stupid question, but could this be
related to the gcc-3.2 transition?  If not, what could be causing it?  I have
since downgraded from Branden's experimental packages that just went up a few
days ago, and reinstalled a different version of KDE, but to no avail... My
system is a 2.5GHz P4 with the NVidia Drivers (I have tried the X ones as
well as the binaries), on the 2.5.59 kernel (I have tried on the standard
Debian one (2.4.18 or 19), as well as 2.5.54), Memory is 512 ram and about
700 swap... I think this about covers it... I also tried using a minimum
number of modules in my X config file, disabling Framebuffer use, and
commented out the DRI lines...  If any more info is needed from me just let
me know, and thanks in advance for any help offered.

Cordially,
Hesham Hassan