EuroSign and UTF-8.

Any idea?

<Md> does anybody know why suddenly X started generating the Euro symbol in
     UTF-8 instead of latin-9?
<Md> I use xmodmap and "keycode 26 = e E EuroSign
<asuffield> how about a non-utf xterm in the relevant locale?
<Md> asuffield: it still does not work
<asuffield> any output, or just ignores the key?
<Md> asuffield: it's ignored. gnome terminal outputs ** (gnome-terminal:874):
     WARNING **: Error (Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character)
     converting data for child, dropping.
<asuffield> interesting. what does xev show as the XLookupString result?
<Md>     state 0x2000, keycode 26 (keysym 0x20ac, EuroSign), same_screen YES,
<asuffield>     XLookupString gives 1 characters:  "E"
<asuffield> should get one of those
<asuffield> (only with the right character)
<Md>     XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""
<asuffield> Md: beats me. it's as if X has forgotten what a EuroSign is.

--
ciao,
Marco