Re: compiling xfree86 from source on debian

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 02:46:09PM -0800, b d wrote:
> My i386 installations seem to have a file
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/cirrus_alpine.o
>
> but this doesn't seem to exist on my alpha
> installations....
>
> I'm new to the alpha architecture, and someone in the
> alpha debian lists said I would likely have to compile
> X from source.  I don't see why these packages should
> be different based on architecture since it looks like
> this is directly X related....  Any ideas why it isn't
> included in Debian's alpha packages?

Yes; because upstream says not to build it:

xc/config/cf/xfree86.cf:

    490 /*
    491  * DEC Alpha drivers
    492  */
    493 #ifdef AlphaArchitecture
[...]
    554 # ifndef DevelDrivers
    555 #  if XFree86Devel
    556 #   define DevelDrivers         /* */
    557 #  else
    558 #   define DevelDrivers         /* */
    559 #  endif
    560 # endif
    561
    562 /* Pure PCI drivers should go first */
    563 # ifndef XF86CardDrivers
    564 #  define XF86CardDrivers       mga tdfx glint s3 s3virge rendition tga ati \
    565                                 savage nv DevelDrivers siliconmotion vga \
    566                                 XF86OSCardDrivers XF86ExtraCardDrivers
    567 # endif
    568 # if HasGlide3
    569 #  define TdfxDriDriver         tdfx
    570 # else
    571 #  define TdfxDriDriver         /**/
    572 # endif

If you know that the cirrus driver compiles and works, please tell me.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     I had thought very carefully about
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     comitting hara-kiri over this, but