Powerbook crashing on wakeup only in X

Greetings all.  I have a powerbook g4, first revision.
Since upgrading to 4.2.1-4 X packages last night, my
powerbook now crashes when woken up, if X is running.  The
crash is unfortunately 100% reliable and happens the very
first time the book is put to sleep.  This crash does not
occur at the console.

Before the upgrade, I was having intermittent crashes, but
nothing like this.  I noticed there were a number of patches
to the ati driver in the latest packages.  I'd like to hear
if anyone else is having trouble, and what their solution
might be.

BTW, I am not using DRI.

-jwb
Please CC: me.