Radeon 9000 and XFree86

[cc me, I'm not subscribed to debian-x]

Hi, I was reading the debian-x web archives and noticed some messages relating to the Radeon 9000. I just picked up one of these a few weeks ago, and I thought I'd relate my experience with it and X, in case anyone found them useful. Most of this is what I collected together from scouring the XFree86 and DRI mailing lists.

At first I was using stock unstable XFree86 (4.2.1-3) and setting the ChipID to 0x5157 (7500) so that I could use the dual-head set up, since the 9000's setup is apparently much like that of the 7500. It worked perfectly, I encountered no problems at all. Also, you can apparently set it to a 8500 (0x4242) ChipID and get DRI working.

Also, a patch recently went into XFree86 CVS to support the 9000 (http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/xpert/2002-September/020614.html - where I got the information above also)

I recently pulled and compiled the DRI CVS branch of XFree86, because it seems they have DRI working with the 9000 now (browsing through cvsweb seems to indicate this), however since I am using Xinerama, DRI is disabled, and I have yet to drop back to one screen to test out DRI. Since DRI CVS is kept up to date with XFree86 CVS, it recognized my 9000 as such with no ChipID tricks, and I can still use Xinerama, although I had to alter my Device section setup from what I was using before. (while I was using the 7500 ChipID, I had Device sections for PCI:1:0.0 and PCI:1:0.1, but with the CVS build I specified the same BusID for both Device sections, but with different Screen identifiers both times, of course)

I can post my XF86Config if anyone wants to take a look at it.

Hope this helps.

--
James Curbo <phoenix@sandwich.net> <jc108788@rc.hsu.edu>
Undergraduate Computer Science, Henderson State University