Re: putzing with the Radeon 9000

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 05:33:14PM -0500, Russell Neches wrote:

> Hey there --
>
> I'm having some trouble configuring an ATI Radeon 9000. It seems that
> X and lspci can't identify the card. I'm not sure if that's the fault
> of the card for not identifying itself correctly, or if the right ID
> strings are missing.
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4966 (rev 01)
> 01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 496e (rev 01)
>
> The radeon driver fails to identify the card, so it doesn't even try
> to work:
>
> (WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found

No wonder, since the radeon 9000 not yet existed by the time the 4.2.0
(on which 4.2.1 is only a security bug fix) was released.

> From what I know about this card, it's basically an 8500 with
> extensions. I also stumbled across commercial drivers from Xi (!?!).
> In theory, I ought to be able to set it up as an 8500 (and give up the
> extensions the 9000 offers).

There were reports of it working, even with DRI, so you are right, but
it needs 4.3.0/dri-tree.

I would look onto the dri mailing list archive at sourceforge or on the
X mailing list archive, for some information.

Alternatively, you could make use of the dri-trunk packages from michel,
which i guess will include this, not sure though.

> Would some kind person explain to me how to go about this? I've never
> set up a card that wasn't recognized by its driver.

Like said, either building X from CVS or installing Michel's dri-trunk
package should make it work.

Alternatively, read the XF86Config and try to find how to make X believe
it is another board, there is an option for this, maybe called chipset,
but i don't remember well, never having used it, it worked for the 7500
in the 4.1.0 days. That said, you will not have the r200 DRI that you
would get from michel's packages.

Friendly,

Sven Luther