Xv freeze with xserver 4.2.1-0pre1v1

Hello,

(This is not a proper bugreport yet.  I need some more advice before I can
provide one of them.)

I've added the necessary packages to my woody install to run Xfree server
4.2, because I wanted to try mplayer's Xv output for my Trident cyber9385.
When using Xv and mplayer, the xserver will sometimes freeze, to the extent
that it locks up my whole machine.  (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace won't do anything,
and the box appears dead to the network too, so I have to shutdown and fsck
every time.)

This has occurred at numerous different points when running mplayer, and I
have as yet been unable to narrow the bug down to a single operation, so I
suspect that the problem might be with X.  However, I cannot find anything
else that uses Xv.  Can anyone advise me if there is any other software I
can try to reproduce this bug with, for example some Xv demo programs?  I've
had a quick google, but all I can find is mplayer and the Xv development
docs.

Glyn

--
Her covering travelling career