TrueTypes suddenly aren't displayed but still shown in xlsfonts

Hello

xlsfonts and several other apps show correctly my msttfcorefonts font:
	-monotype-arial-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-15
Sadly no app can actually use it. gtkfontsel e.g. says "The selected font
is not available". xlsfont and some apps say: "Warning: Missing charsets
in String to FontSet conversation" and "Warning: Unable to load any
usable fontset".

How to get my ttf back?

I tried to completely reinstall all X11 and font packages and even upgraded
from sid to the 4.2beta debs without any changes.
I have of course loaded the "freetype" and no "xtt" module. I'm using the
nvidia display driver for my Geforce2 if that matters. Already upgraded
this thing, too. But it worked long time before.

The failure started at about 1 week ago after I restarted my computers
after week or so uptime and several apt-get -u upgrades...

A hint could be that I find nothing about freetype in xdpyinfo although it
loads fine according to /var/log/XFree86.0.log. For which string should I
look in xdpyinfo?

bye,

-christian-