Re: Trident CYBER 8820 and acceleration

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 09:17:26PM -0700, Marc Singer wrote:
> I upgraded to 4.2.1-0pre1v1 on a Toshiba Laptop in an attempt to
> improve driver throughput.  Oddly, the trident driver as packaged in
> this version is slower than the frame buffer driver in 4.1.  The most
> obvious change is that dragging windows around the screen shows
> noticeable trails.  Now, I wouldn't have thought much about this
> except that when I installed Alan's binary driver I found a
> significant performance increase.  Is this performance difference
> explained by debug code in the driver?

I doubt it.  The code paths are not any different for the unstripped
modules, they're just larger objects.  This has an effect on the speed
with which the module is initially loaded into the server (likely a
negiligible effect on modern systems), but shouldn't really affect
runtime performance at all.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     If God had intended for man to go
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     about naked, we would have been