Re: Static debug version in xserver-xfree86

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 10:22:46AM +0200, debian-x@planetzork.ping.de wrote:
> are these sizes correct?

Sort of.

> Shouldn't be the -dbg package the larger one while
> xserver-xfree86_4.2.1-0pre1v1_i386.deb contains only the version
> without debug symbols?
>
> 16559004 x11 optional xserver-xfree86_4.2.1-0pre1v1_i386.deb
> 3621016 x11 optional xserver-xfree86-dbg_4.2.1-0pre1v1_i386.deb

Both packages are built correctly and ship the correct things.

You can confirm this by:

1) comparing the sizes of /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 and
   /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86-debug; or
2) running "file" on these two files; or
3) running "dpkg -L" on each package; or
4) executing the two servers and noting the differences in their log
   output;

It's just that all of a sudden[1] dh_strip has decided it's a bad idea
to strip the debugging symbols out of the stuff in
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/{drivers,input}.

I guess this is a bug in dh_strip, since according to its manpage you
can only tell it to *ex*clude things, not "strip THIS, yes I mean THIS,
yes I mean it".

[1] Well, I also recently changed the XFree86 build process to build
everything, absolutely everything, with debugging symbols.  It's
possible that the driver and input modules weren't ever compiled with -g
before, and that dh_strip was always ignoring them.  But since they were
built without debugging symbols in the first place, no one noticed...

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    You should try building some of the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    stuff in main that is