Re: X 4.2 pre1v4 + Xinerama + Gatos

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 04:32:01PM +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> > This setup works well with X 4.1 + Gatos drivers, but not with the pre
> > 4.2 debs. If I use the Gatos drivers, Xv and tuner work (on the r128),
> > but X hangs the whole machine very often (often when using Xv or tuner
> > or galeon), and if I only use the pure debs, it doesn't hang but neither
> > Xv nor the tuner are accessible.
>
> I retract the last statement: finally I had a hang with pure 4.2 pre1v4
> debs (although I had to wait for some hours before it happened).
>
> Anything I could do to help ?

Yes.

1) apt-get install xserver-xfree86-dbg
2) ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86-debug /etc/X11/X

(The debconf server selection dialog doesn't list xserver-xfree86-dbg
fore reasons I don't yet understand.)

3) Start your X session.
4) Reproduce the hang.
5) Get to a shell (remote console, VT switch if that works, or ssh).
6) Determine the PID of the running X server.
7) gdb $PID /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86-debug
   (this connects the debugger to the running X server)
8) At the gdb prompt, type "bt full".

...and let us know on this list what you find out.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I have a truly elegant proof of the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    above, but it is too long to fit