freely-licensed DRI documentation wanted

[dri-devel folks: please copy debian-x on replies as I am not subscribed
to dri-devel]

Hi guys,

I am the XFree86 package maintainer for the Debian Project, and one of
my users pointed out a problem to me: the README.DRI and README.DRIcomp
documentation files are not licensed such that anyone can change them.

As DRI evolves, this will increasingly become a hindrance.
Documentation has enough problems getting out of date as it is without
bad licensing making it a copyright infringement to try and fix that.

The Debian Project does distribute materials like this that fail our
"Free Software Guidelines"[1], but we have to do in a portion of our
archives that is avowedly unofficial, so if I wanted to keep these files
as part of the XFree86 Debian package I would have to move all of
XFree86 out of Debian "main" (the official distribution), which simply
isn't practical.

Likewise, the XFree86 Project has its own licensing rules, and while
they are in some ways more flexible than the Debian Project when it
comes to making exceptions, I'm sure they would prefer DRI docs that are
licensed consistently with the rest of the XFree86 distribution.  If the
MIT/X11 license is good enough for the Xlib manual, it should be good
enough for DRI documentation as well.  While I can't speak for the
XFree86 Project on this issue, Debian will continue to have this need
even if XFree86 does not.

I mention the XFree86 Project's licensing policy because while licenses
like the GNU GPL and GNU FDL (as long as there are no Invariant Sections
or Cover Texts) are acceptable to the Debian Project, they are not to
XFree86, and in making this call for freely licensed documentation, I am
seeking a solution that will unquestionably be satisfactory to both
projects from a licensing perspective.

I've been in touch with Jens Owen and Brian Paul at Tungsten Graphics,
and I was advised to put out this call for volunteers.  They have been
trying to get a response from what used to be VA Linux Systems for
several months, and none has been forthcoming.  It therefore seems
unlikely that we'll get the existing documents relicensed.

So, is anyone up to the task?

[1] http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       kernel panic -- causal failure