Re: XF4.2 packages think Alt is Meta

Branden Robinson writes:

> 1) I personally don't care, since I remap the funny keys on the bottom
> row to suit my own strange tastes anyway;
> 2) I don't want to subject my users to shock and horror.
> 3) I don't want to deviate gratuitously from upstream practice.

> I'd appreciate input from the people on this list as to the impact of
> XFree86 4.2 on 2) and 3).  Are those goals truly in conflict?  Is this
> only a problem for people with buggy window managers?

No, it will most probably affect all users of Emacs and other clones of
Emacs as well, since it makes intensive use of the Meta key (and the
default behavior was to have the left Windows key as Meta).  You might
argue that Emacs addicts probably rebind their keys as they see fit, but
for the average or occasional user, the change might be disturbing.

Maybe the upgrade process should warn the user about the change, and
maybe even ask if it should keep the old behavior.

My 2c,

--
Romain FRANCOISE <romain@orebokech.com> | I know, you love the song but
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | not the singer.