Intel i830M and X 4.2

I'm not sure if these issues are specific to my particular laptop or
not, because most pages I see talking about these fixes (which I'll get
to in a minute) are with respect to my particular laptop - Gateway Solo
1450.

A page that summarizes the general problem (i.e., without addressing
possible issues that deal with Debian), is here -
http://www.jongans.com/gateway1450.html

The issue seems to be this (Branden you may be familiar with issues with
this chipset, I saw a few flutterings about it on the Xpert mailing
list, but no real mention of applying any fix):  without some patches,
Linux can only see 1MB of VRAM for this chipset, even though the BIOS
claims to set aside 8MB.  That makes the "best" mode possible
1024x768x8bit.  However, with one X patch, a kernel patch for agpgart,
and a little utility to modify some stuff in memory, I've been able to
get X 4.2 to run 1024x768x24bit just fine.  This was using the
instructions on the webpage above.  I'd like to simplify things for
myself (and others), by having this stuff integrated into the debs
anyway.  So, as we speak, I am downloading the X4.2 pre1v1 src (from a
mirror, of course :)), and am going to try to drop in the patch and see
how things work.

Two questions arose (as I am not a d-d, only a wannabe (for now)).
First, are the patches in debian/patches any different from a standard
unidiff (diff -u) format?  They don't seem to be (looking at a few
examples), but I just want to make sure.  Second, can I just drop the
patch in there with a ###_name_of_patch.diff name and it will be applied
at dpkg-buildpackage time, or what?  The paths in the patch on that page
aren't quite right, but I plan on fixing those.  So for now, I just plan
on giving it some really late number like 998, but I'm sure if/when
Branden accepts this patch (or one like it), that he will place it
accordingly.  But, I don't wanna throw it in there and start a build
only to find out that I just got the vanilla XF4.2 packages.

Thanks.

--
Daniel DiPaolo <ddipaolo@trinity.edu>
GnuPG key ID: 0xB2F23FC2