xtt/freetype grumpy

I just installed the sid X4.2 packages and freetype6_2.1.1-3 on my
(i386) debian testing box. I nuked xie and pex5 with dpkg-reconfigure,
as seems appropriate given that they're not part of X4.2.

However, X still refused to start on account of a duplicate symbol for
freetype in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libxtt.a. Removing xtt from
the configuration "fixed" the problem.

Now, I know that there are folks out there who didn't run into this.
Any ideas what might be wrong? Did I slurp the wrong freetype6
packages?

I can recreate the log easily enough, but I figure I'll spare everyone
the 28k of spew unless someone thinks it might be enlightening.

Thanks,

Russell Neches