Re: Default X background.

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 05:35:11PM -0700, Jim Gettys wrote:
> The cross hatch was chosen by yours truly I suspect sometime in the
> last half of 1984. (at least, I have memories of experimenting with
> a number of different patterns...  If it wasn't me, it was rws/\.)
>
> It has a property most patterns don't: you can xor rubber banding
> on a one bit deep display (all we had at the time) and see the
> result.

Yes, and this was quite valuable with twm, but these days all moves and
resizes are done with opaque windows and insanely over-featured window
managers running on insanely speedy CPU and GPUs that spend more cycles
idling than processors of yore counted in their entire lifetimes.  :)

> There isn't anything sacred about the pattern, though there are some words
> in the protocol spec about what roughly will be there; there are other
> possibilities that would meet the letter of the law.

Xsun has an image file compiled into the server.

> It is useful at times to see that pattern, as it tells you something
> pretty definate about the state of the X server.

Yup.

> But changing it to something else is certainly possible: I did not detect
> consensus on the xpert list of what to change it to, however.

I think if there were:

1) support for setting the root window to a solid color on startup via a
command-line option (and possibly via an XF86Config file flag)

and

2) some borrowing of the Xsun splash screen code along with instructions
on how to make your X server use a given image file

...most people would be pretty happy.  Of course, 2) is pretty
gratuitous if you can just use 1) to set the root window to a solid
color like black or white, and then let the client side worry about
splash screens.  I mention 2) only because Xsun users have been spoiled
by it.

I don't know how color specification would be done.  If I recall
correctly all of X's fancy colorspace stuff is on the client side.
(CMS?)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Extra territorium jus dicenti