Re: X breaks in CD-based installer environment

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 12:44:08AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-04-28 at 00:41, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 12:15:01AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > > Option "UseFBDev" only works with a 'real' framebuffer device. Does the
> > > working system use aty128fb but the installation system OFfb?
> >
> > They are the exact same machine.
>
> I got that. :)
>
> Maybe the installation system boots with video=ofonly, or its kernel
> doesn't have aty128fb, ...

FYI, I'm the "other guy" who tried this.  Jimmy and I are both working
on 600 MHz iBook Dual USBs.

I checked the point you're describing with Jimmy.  The aty128fb is
compiled and available, and video=ofonly is not set in the default boot
configuration.

The part that is frustrating is this:

(**) R128(0): Using framebuffer device
(II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
(II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
(II) Loading /live/lib/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.a
(II) Module fbdevhw: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        compiled for 4.1.0.1, module version = 0.0.2
        ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.4
(II) UnloadModule: "ati"
(II) UnloadModule: "fbdevhw"
(II) Unloading /live/lib/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.a
(II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Unloading /live/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
(II) UnloadModule: "r128"
(II) Unloading /live/lib/modules/drivers/r128_drv.o
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

All of a sudden, *something* is deciding it's time to bail out.  It looks like
the fbdevhw module.  But no level of verbosity is explaining.  On a normal
startup, right after the fbdevhw module talks about itself, R128(0) speaks up
and claims the ATI Rage 128 LF device.

I don't understand the internals of
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/fbdevhw/fbdevhw.c to speculate on what's
going on.  Is there a place where some xf86DrvMsg()s could be added to
help diagnose this apparent decision by the module to bail out??

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    It was a typical net.exercise -- a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    screaming mob pounding on a greasy