Last few ugly fonts and other questions

I've had Linux under the desk for a few years now, but trying to migrate over
to the desktop.  So consider me new to X.

I've done reasonably well getting things running, but I still have a few
questions.

I'm running 2.4.17 (compiled from kernel-source), and I installed woody and
dist-upgrade'd to sid.  Running KDE 2.2.2.  GeForce2 Ti w/ 64MB. 19" monitor

It took a while, but I think I'm getting my fonts to look good. I'm now
runnng font servers and have moved over my tt fonts from my Windows machine.

1) The fonts look much better than they did, but still some fonts are a bit,
well, chunky -- think and thin.  Specifically, pulldown menus and text input
fields.

2) Also, I'm not clear about anti-aliasing fonts.  If I check that in KDE
control center for fonts and restart X, boy do the fonts look bad.  Looks
like everything is a bad Courier font.  Should I be using anti-aliased fonts?
I've got all my font selections (in KDE Control) set to Helvetica.

3) At 1152x864 my virtual screen size is the same as my physical size.  Is
that all I can get or can I push that with a "virtual" setting.
X reports at startup:

 (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1152 x 864

4) Evolution has brought down X a few times where I need to ssh in from
another machine and reboot.  Ctrl-Alt-Backspace doesn't help.  Any tricks to
recover from that?

Thanks very much,

I'm learning.  Really, I am.

--