Re: kdm / xdm dying

On Wednesday, 13. February 2002 19:22, cjm2@lewiston.com wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I don't think this is a Debian problem. The reason is, early this morning,
> during graveyard shift, the same thing happened here.  There were only
> three X terminal PC's logged in at the time. By chance, all three happened
> to be running Slackware, rather than Debian, and as it happens, the server
> they were logged into is running Slackware.
>
> Two of the machines logged their users out about 5 minutes apart.  When I
> got to work I checked their bios clocks and they have drifted about 5
> minutes from each other.  The third machine did not logout it's user.
>
> The two machines that did exhibit the weird behavior are running Slackware
> 4.0 and 7.1 and both have 2.2.x series kernels.  The Slackware 4.0 box is a
> 486 DX and the Slackware 7.1 machine is a P75.
>
> The third X terminal machine, which did not logout it's user, is running
> Slackware 3.6 and a 2.0.X series kernel.
>
> Unfortunately, nobody was logged in on any of the X terminals configured
> with Debian, bui I'm tempted to speculate that this is a kernel related
> phenomenon.

Yes. It's not a debian specific problem. It happens with RH also. But I don't think
that's a kernel problem anyway. It happens on absolutely different machines
with different kernels and different hardware. The terminals are using Kernel
2.4.13 this time, and were running on 2.2.17 about 1,5 years ago. I don't think
that this is the problem.

Greets,
-Cajus