Re: Seeking info: how to build xfree .deb from CVS

On Mon, 2002-01-07 at 04:37, Dave Baker wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 01:34:15AM +0100, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> > I think what you're trying to do is more hassle than it's worth. :)
> >
> > Unless you need multihead support, I think you can use a 7500 with 4.1.0
> > by overriding the ChipID to that of a VE (IIRC). You should try to get
> > more information about this on the web or elsewhere and remember that
> > I'm not responsible for any problems this might cause though. :)
>
> Ok.  I'm starting to think so too ... also starting to think I should take
> this card back and just get a nVidia instead, even with their less than
> desirable driver license.

That's not what I was getting at, on the contrary. 'Hassle' only
referred to packaging X out of CVS. I believe dealing with nVidia's
drivers would be far more hassle though. :)

> What I've ended up doing so far is just doing a standalone "make World"
> from the CVS source and copying the following files over the top of my
> current install.
>
> /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ati_drv.o    (probably didn't need this)

You probably did, actually.

> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.o
>
> My 'glxgears' framerate is truly horrible (and UT doesn't run at all) so I
> suppose I need also include the updated DRM/DRI modules to that list.

Maybe, and maybe also libGL.so and radeon_dri.so. Check the logs and
follow the DRI user guide on http://dri.sf.net.

> I think I'll just live with my hack and make sure I hold those packages
> until 4.2.0 is out...

That's not necessary. The X server supports several module paths; put
the stuff from CVS somewhere where it doesn't interfere with dpkg and
use that as the first ModulePath.