Debian's XFree86 4.2 and SiS vs. DRI

I finally updated to 4.2.1 (-4) from 4.1.0.1 and found that DRI on the SiS chipsets does not work anymore.

My box is running kernel 2.4.19 (with xfs patch, otherwise vanilla) and the latest XFree 4.2.1-4 packages from unstable.

The (XFree) SiS driver enables DRI correctly, but glxgears says "Direct Rendering: No". Consequently, indirect rendering is used.

Replacing the 4.2.1-4 xlibsmesa3 package with the one from stable (4.1.0-16) makes DRI work again. To be more exact, replacing 4.2.1's sis_dri.so with the 4.1 version is enough.

A comparison of the source between the 4.1 and 4.2 version (as regards sis_dri.so) shows as good as no changes, except in the (I)Makefile(s).

1) Has anyone managed to make DRI on the SiS chipsets work with Debian's 4.2 packages?

2) Any clue on why this happens?

After a year of explaining SiS- and SiS-DRI related stuff to people I feel somewhat stupid running into such a problem myself now...

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria