Re: X4.2 won't start for MGA driver

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 11:28:09AM -0500, David Allen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just recently upgraded to XFree 4.2 (Debian testing)  I can't get
> xserver-xfree86 to start (which is what I should be using).  I was
> hoping I might find out what's going on here...some brief information,
> and then my error logs:

Hi, this is a FAQ.

(II) Module mga_hal: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.3
(II) MGA(0): Matrox HAL module used

There's your problem.  Either get rid of this mga_hal_drv.o file, which
is not part of the XFree86 distribution, or upgrade to a version
compiled for XFree86 4.2.1, which, if it exists at all, should be
available through Matrox.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Don't use nuclear weapons to
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     troubleshoot faults.