Radeon 9000 and XFree86
[cc me, I'm not subscribed to debian-x]
Hi, I was reading the debian-x web archives and noticed some messages
relating to the Radeon 9000. I just picked up one of these a few weeks
ago, and I thought I'd relate my experience with it and X, in case
anyone found them useful. Most of this is what I collected together from
scouring the XFree86 and DRI mailing lists.
At first I was using stock unstable XFree86 (4.2.1-3) and setting the
ChipID to 0x5157 (7500) so that I could use the dual-head set up, since
the 9000's setup is apparently much like that of the 7500. It worked
perfectly, I encountered no problems at all. Also, you can apparently
set it to a 8500 (0x4242) ChipID and get DRI working.
Also, a patch recently went into XFree86 CVS to support the 9000
where I got the information above also)
I recently pulled and compiled the DRI CVS branch of XFree86, because it
seems they have DRI working with the 9000 now (browsing through cvsweb
seems to indicate this), however since I am using Xinerama, DRI is
disabled, and I have yet to drop back to one screen to test out DRI.
Since DRI CVS is kept up to date with XFree86 CVS, it recognized my 9000
as such with no ChipID tricks, and I can still use Xinerama, although I
had to alter my Device section setup from what I was using before.
(while I was using the 7500 ChipID, I had Device sections for PCI:1:0.0
and PCI:1:0.1, but with the CVS build I specified the same BusID for
both Device sections, but with different Screen identifiers both times,
I can post my XF86Config if anyone wants to take a look at it.
Hope this helps.
James Curbo <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
Undergraduate Computer Science, Henderson State University
Public Keys: PGP - 1024/0x76E2061B GNUPG - 1024D/0x3EEA7288