libGLU and g++-3.2 (nurbs?)

[I'm not subscribed to debian-x, please CC me]
[Oh, and sorry for my bad english, i'm not a native speaker]

Hi all,

I'm writing this mail to you as Qt3 maintainer and part of the group which
tries to get KDE3 into the distribution.

KDE3 wasn't uploaded until now because the transistion to g++-3.2 queues and
it would have made not much sense to upload ~50 packages which would need to
be rebuild anytime soon. Especially since traffic is not really cheap...

Ryan Murray said that he is preparing a document right now which will describe
the g++-3.2 transistion, so it can finally happen. That is why i'm writing this
mail now.

At weekend, i created the first Qt3.1 .deb's and ran into a problem which is
bundled with the xfree86 "xlibmesa3" package. This is why i'm writing here. ;)

Let me describe the problem: Qt3 supports linking against OpenGL library and
provides some functions which make it possible to use OpenGL with Qt3. If you
enable OpenGL in Qt3, libqt-mt.so.3.1.0 will link against libGL.so.1 -- and of
course, since Qt is pure C++, also against libstdc++5 (if it was compiled with
g++-3.2).

libGL.so.1 is linked against libGLU.so.1 -- and there we have the problem:
libGLU contains g++-code, as far as i am concerned in NURBS, and is therefore
linked against libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3. Now you can see the dilemma: Qt3 is
linked against libstdc++5 directly and against libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 via
libGLU -- this will most probably lead to trouble and un-usable Qt-OpenGL apps
due to conflicting symbols.

So i politely ask - does anybody have a solution for this issue? Maybe
disabling NURBS in the Mesa-library would do the job? Or can anybody
provide help with creating g++-3.2 packages of xlibmesa3 (xlibmesa3c,
that is)? I will, of course, help as good as i can with finding a solution.

yours sincerely,

--
  .''`.   Name: Martin Loschwitz
 : :'  :  E-Mail: madkiss@madkiss.org