Re: [desktop] Unix configuration nightmare

Hi,

 Branden> On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 10:09:58PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
 >> Time for a third opinion: I think your setup circumvents the problem
 >> (parsing XF86Config) _very_ nicely with little overhead. It allows me
 >> to customize any section I want while still letting debconf handle the
 >> rest. Basically I just have to copy it and move it outside of the debconf
 >> part.

 Branden> Well, that was the use case I had in mind when I wrote
 Branden> XFree86's debconf support, but judging by the dozens of
 Branden> config files I've seen, that's not the use case in widest
 Branden> deployment.

 Branden> Cutting and pasting a block of text is Too Hard.

	Perhaps you should add that to the comment: that the unit to
 copy is a section; and any section may be copied at will.

 Branden> The scenario you enjoy will die, because People Will Not
 Branden> Read.  It's also arguably a violation of way Debconf is
 Branden> supposed to work (there's not supposed to be any such thing
 Branden> as a "debconf area", and for files that aren't as
 Branden> potentially insanely complex as XF86Config, I agree), so I'm
 Branden> not getting any support from the Orthodox Church of Debconf,
 Branden> either.

	Perhaps the solution is to grab the area between the debconf
 markers, store a md5sum of that area, and act like dpkg does with
 conffiles: allow the user to accept, refuse, view diffs, of the
 section inside the debconf area.

	Once I get ucf cleaned up and insert the diff3 functionality
 in there, you can use ucf to really preserve user changes.

	manoj
--
 People will do tomorrow what they did today because that is what they
 did yesterday.