apt-build and xfree86

Im currently trying to rebuild some stuff on my system using apt-build
and its not going very well.  In particular:

apt-build --reinstall --rebuild install xserver-xfree86
-----> Installing build dependencies (for xserver-xfree86) <-----
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package hurd has no available version, but exists in the database.
This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
of sources.list
E: Package hurd has no installation candidate
E: Build-Depends dependency on xfree86 cannot be satisfied because the
package freebsd cannot be found
Error while installing build dependencies, stopped.

and:
apt-get build-dep xserver-xfree86
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package hurd has no available version, but exists in the database.
This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
of sources.list
E: Package hurd has no installation candidate
E: Build-Depends dependency on xfree86 cannot be satisfied because the
package freebsd cannot be found

Im thinking some dependency has been added on the Hurd and since Im
using the linux kernel it cant satisfy the hurd deps.

xserver-xfree86:
  Installed: 4.2.1-3
  Candidate: 4.2.1-3

Using Debian Unstable on i386.

P.S.
I was looking through some of the bug reports for xfree86 and noticed a
lot of old bugs taged as upstream.  Has there been any effort to go look
over these and check if any are fixed in the current version so they can
be closed?