Re: BUG? upgrade messes with HorizSync????

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 10:38:32AM +1000, Neale Banks wrote:
> >  Section "Monitor"
> >         Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
> > -       HorizSync       48.3,60,68.7
> > +       HorizSync       60,75,85
> >         VertRefresh     60,75,85
> >         Option          "DPMS"
> >  EndSection
> >
> > Seeing that most of my other settings were kept, does this point to a
> > problem with HorizSync value getting overwritten with the VertRefresh
> > value?
>
> That part of the config script hasn't changed, so I'm not sure how
> that's possible.

Argh!  PEBKAC :-(

AFAICT, I must have stuffed up the original data entry when I first
configured xserver-xfree86 then patched the config file by hand.  Of
course the wrong data in the config database came back to haunt me after
the upgrade.  My apologies for the noise.

Now I know I "shouldn't have" done this, but the reality is that I
probably won't be the last - is there a case for comparing the config
generated from the database with the relevant chunk from the active config
file and popping up a "you appear to have messed with..." warning?  No,
that wouldn't work because the config format may change - but what if we
stored a checksum of the "### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION" / "### END DEBCONF
SECTION" chunk and used that to determine if there's been some editing?

Neale.