problem with type6 keyboard on sparc

 I had a lot of trouble getting this working at all.

 First off, I blindly assumed that my keyboard was a type5, and this
caused kernel panics on debian/woody, on boot, when loadkeys was run!

 Once I fixed that, X was a problem. By default, the X configurator on
Woody and Sid (Sid from http://people.debian.org/%7Ebranden/) puts the
following into XF86Config-4:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "sun"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "type6"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "gb"
EndSection

 Which doesn't work - backspace gives a backtick, 'v' is caps lock etc. I
spent a while on Google looking for people with similar problems, and
found someone who got XFree working on Sparc with a type6 keyboard.

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2001/debian-sparc-200103/msg00169.html

 I had to massage his config into:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"    "sun"
        Option          "XkbModel"    "type5"
        Option          "XkbLayout"   "gb"
        Option          "XkbCompat"   "compat/complete"
        Option          "XkbTypes"    "types/complete"
        Option          "XkbKeycodes" "sun(type5)"
        Option          "XkbGeometry" "sun"
#        Option          "XkbSymbols"  "sun/gb(sun5)"
EndSection

 And it works, mostly. The last XkbSymbols line had to be commented out.
Now, everything works, except for the pipe/backslash key, which is
generating a keycode of 106. Being a novice playing with Xkb, could
someone help me out here, by telling me how I could get a pipe symbol,
after messing with my keymap so much in order to get the rest working ?

John