Re: XFree4.2 -> unstable?

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 04:13:16PM -0700, Bradley Bell wrote:
> no, that's not it.  Could it be that the monitor sense pins on the indy
> think it's only a 1024x768 monitor?  The monitor has 5xBNC connections (it's
> multisync), with a macintosh monitor cable.  That's plugged into a MAC->VGA
> adapter, which is connected to the indy via a VGA->13W3 adapter.  :-)
Nobody ever bothered to implement proper video mode handling (VC2) into
the driver, therefore the driver relies on the prom to set some things
up. The prom on the other hand gets the monitor type from the nvram
(don't know if the card also senses pins) which can be changed currently
from IRIX only.
I'll at least fix the driver to detect the current resolution properly.

> also, my memory's hazy, but I think it was working fine (but looking
> terrible) before, when I had an 8-bit video board in there, and xfree 4.0 or
> 4.1.
Can you repeat the experiment and check if it gives you 1280x1024 with
the 8bit board?
Regards,
 -- Guido