Re: 4.2.0 nVidia driver comments (updated)

On Aug 08, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> Thanks, Branden, for including the nv driver backport in the latest
> 4.2.0 prerelease (which added support for the GeForce2 Go).  I tried
> switching from the *gag* non-free binary driver to nv, and it mostly
> worked, with the following caveats:

I finally got around to upgrading my laptop this morning to 4.2.0-pre1v4
(4.2.1 hasn't made it to the XSF mirror I pull my mirror from).

> - Segfault when the glx driver was loaded.  There were two unresolved
>   _gl symbols in the X server backtrace; I can get the trace if that
>   will help some.  (Rebooting without the nvidia binary module loaded
>   did not help any.)

Fixed by purging nvidia-glx.  (Thanks for the hint, Michael.)  Might
be worth a note in the changelog or driver status document.

> - The mouse cursor didn't render right; it was small, red, and in two
>   more-or-less identical pieces about 30 pixels apart separated by a
>   bit of pixel garbage.  (Probably using a software cursor would have
>   fixed this.)

Fixed now (since -pre1v3).

Definitely cool to be back running a 100% free X again :-)  Great work
by Branden and the upstream X team, as always.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/