xvfb-run side-effects

Hi,

I have been running some tests with and without xvfb-run.

In short, they fail in xvfb-run, and succeed on my framebuffer.

I am thinking that perhaps xvfb-run emits stderr chatter when used
with GL applications.

$ xvfb-run glxinfo
glxinfo
name of display: :99.0
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

I wonder where those Xlib errors come from. They seem to be spurious
side-effects, as glxinfo continues to run in a reasonable manner.
(No, I'm not asking for "direct rendering: Yes" in xvfb :-)

I also see
 Standard Error:
 Xlib: No protocol specified
as well.

What brought this up were the 222 errors in
http://www.vtk.org/Testing/Sites/makapuu/Debian-vtk_4.0-1_i386.deb/20020909-0522-Experimental/Test.html
which was using xvfb-run, compared to
http://www.vtk.org/Testing/Sites/makapuu/Debian-vtk_4.0-1_i386.deb/20020909-1101-Experimental/Test.html
which did not use xvfb-run.

( For the big picture on VTK testing, see:
  http://www.vtk.org/Testing/Dashboard/20020909-0300-Nightly/Dashboard.html )

I'm looking for a way to avoid those test failures with xvfb-run, and
I am not sure if it is easier to change the testing software to be
more accepting of xvfb-run output, or make xvfb-run quieter.

-Maitland