Re: s3savage drivers and Xv

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 10:30:51PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 08:39:11AM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > Is it possible to get that updated driver into the debian release of
> > xfree86, or is that something that has to be done upstream?
>
> If someone preps a patch that isn't too grody, I'll look into it.

Here's a patch which replaces the files in
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/savage as per the build instructions
on the page (http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html#download).

There is no documentation change in the released source, just this
description on the site:

1.1.23t drop now available. This drop, the first in about four months,
includes an array of rather minor changes. Note that I am unable to test
several of these changes: I do not have hardware for the SuperSavage or
ProSavage DDR chips. Let me know your results!

This driver was built for XFree86 4.1.0. It will not work with 4.0.x. It
works OK with 4.2.0, although there is a mysterious seg fault in xine that
may be the result of the version mismatch.
[Chris: I guess he's talking about the binary driver here]

First, it includes support for the ProSavage DDR. This is a new member of
the ProSavage family, presumably one that understands double data rate RAM.
I suspect it is an exact clone of the older Twister product, and that's what
I've encoded.

Second, I have fixed up some problems with the SuperSavage xvideo support.
These were stupid problems. As I said, however, I have no way to test this;
caveat emptor.

Third, I have added a patch contributed by Sidik Isani that adds the ability
to use a 24-in-24 mode (-depth 24 -fbbpp 24). I don't know why you would
want to; the graphics engine doesn't work in that mode, so it is completely
unaccelerated, but two or three people have asked about it, so here it is.
Sidik also contributed code that seems to fix the "xvideo broken at depth
24" problem for many users, although there are still a few who report
problems even with this release.

Fourth, I have included a patch from Juan Altmayer Pizzorno that fixes DGA
on 1400x1050 panels, which was completely broken before.

Fifth, I have inclued a patch from Egbert Eich who noticed that monochrome
pattern expansion had the bit order backwards. This fixes bad titlebar
buttons in KDE 2.2.

Sixth, I have brought the s3switch utility up-to-date. It should now allow
simultaneous LCD/CRT use on the laptop Savages, and it should now recognize
all of the current Savage chips. The source now includes the necessary files
from the lrmi project.
[Chris: this is a separate package in Debian]

Seventh, I have added a patch from Chuck Cranor that fixes black screen when
switching back to text mode on a 1400x1050 panel when running NetBSD.

How would you suggest this goes in?

Chris