Re: trident and new xfree86 packages

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Juraj Bednar wrote:

>Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:37:59 +0200
>From: Juraj Bednar <juraj@bednar.sk>
>To: debian-x@lists.debian.org
>Subject: Re: trident and new xfree86 packages
>
>Hi,
>> >  I've just wanted to give a try to Branden's latest XFree86 4.2.0
>> >  packages. I decided to do this, because 4.1.0 from woody freezes every
>> >  few minutes (a known problem). I have Trident Microsystems 3DIm`age 975
>> >  (rev 243) card.
>> >
>> >  The problem with the new packages is, that the colors are totally
>> >  wrong. I run any application like xmms and black is black, white is
>> >  white, but anything else is wrong.
>> [snip]
>>
>> Maybe it's worth trying the trident_drv.o from
>> http://www.xfree86.org/~alanh/ ?
>
>did not help. I tried to copy the driver from Mandrake (where it worked
>correctly) and it did not help either, still the same problem. I think
>it's not driver dependant for me, it has to be somewhere else than in a
>driver. I also tried 4.1.0 driver, which was displaying the colors
>correctly, but it did not work either.
>
>Maybe you could help me fix the freezing bug in 4.1.0, which works :).
>The problem occurs, when I move windows, resize them or play a movie (so
>in some intensive situation). Then the screen turns while with several
>black vertical lines. It's a hard freeze (can not ping the machine,
>the keyboard does not react). Then sometimes when I push the reset
>button, I have to press it again, because system starts booting without
>video card initialized (or at least I don't see the display).

Try: ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing-drivers/trident_drv.o

It is a newer version of Alan's driver which seems to be very
stable for most users.

Hope this helps.

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,