Re: Want to help fix xdm on MIPS

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 09:55:21PM +0200, Guido Guenther wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 12:35:11PM -0400, Mike Martin wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 18:15:12 +0200
> > Fair enough. I've replaced strace.xdm.txt with a new one.
> > MikeM
> Thanks a lot! The problem is in xdm's genauth.c sumFile function.
> XDM reads blindly lot's of data from /dev/mem. When it hits the GIO
> address space the machine oopses since this causes a bus error
> exception. When one uses /dev/zero(for testing only) instead of /dev/mem
> (DisplayManager*randomFile: /dev/zero)) in xdm-config, xdm no longer
> crashes.

Thanks a lot for the analysis.  Now we need to decide on a fix.

Here's what I propose:

Edit xc/programs/xdm/Imakefile to:
* add DEV_RANDOM to the defines passed to the compiler ifdef
  LinuxArchitecture
* add ArmArchitecture, IA64Architecture, and MipsArchitecture to the
  list to the list for those for which FRAGILE_DEV_MEM is defined
  (will this actually solve the problem even in the absence of the prior
  fix?)

What do you guys think?  These #defines only affect genauth.c.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     What influenced me to atheism was
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     reading the Bible cover to cover.