Re: 4.2.0 pre1v1 debs, mouse stops working

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 05:33, Neale Banks wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Michael Cardenas wrote:
>
> > My /var/log/XFree86.0.log contains this, which might explain the problem:
> >
> > (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
> > 	No such device.
> > (EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
> > (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
> > (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
> > (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
> >
> > but that device does exist:
> >
> > mbc@rilke:/tmp$ ls -la /dev/input/mice
> > crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  63 Mar 14 13:54 /dev/input/mice

The _file_ exists. 'No such device' means there's no hardware or no driver.

> > So, is my xfree86 just improperly configured? Is there a bug in x that
> > makes it not like my mouse, or one in the package that generates the
> > xf86 config file?
>
> When I did a clean install of 4.2.0 debs I too got a "Generic Mouse"
> section that refered to /dev/input/mice (and I'm prety sure that I didn't
> answer any questions in such a way as to suggest this).

It's always there because it allows for hot-plugging (USB so far) with
current kernels and doesn't hurt otherwise.

> > For comparison, using lindows with the same debs, my mouse works fine.
> > I tried using the XFConfig-4 from lindows, and that didn't help the
> > problem. Lindows does use the 2.4.18 kernel though, but I'm not sure
> > that is significant.

It is, that kernel probably has support for /dev/input/mice but the
other doesn't.