4.2.0 pre1v1 debs, mouse stops working

Hi.

I've been working on installing woody, and I have a radeon mobility in my laptop, so x 4.1.0 wouldn't work for me. I mailed debian-devel with the details about this.

So, I picked up your x 4.2.0 debs and I find that when I'm running X in twm or gnome, when doing certain mouse operations, my mouse just stops responding.

My /var/log/XFree86.0.log contains this, which might explain the problem:

(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
	No such device.
(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)

but that device does exist:

mbc@rilke:/tmp$ ls -la /dev/input/mice
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  63 Mar 14 13:54 /dev/input/mice

So, is my xfree86 just improperly configured? Is there a bug in x that makes it not like my mouse, or one in the package that generates the xf86 config file?

For comparison, using lindows with the same debs, my mouse works fine. I tried using the XFConfig-4 from lindows, and that didn't help the problem. Lindows does use the 2.4.18 kernel though, but I'm not sure that is significant.

thanks
  michael

--
michael cardenas